Monday 8 April 2013

PENNIES À LA PARIS










First it was a pair of  Ray-Ban Wayfarers. Then it was a black blazer. Then a pair of leather riding boots. Then a polka dot Cath Kidston satchel. The more conscious I've become of my wardrobe and personal style, the more I've searched for some must-have wardrobe 'staples'. This weekend I ticked off another item on that list when I found the perfect pair of Penny Loafers. I've been rooting around for a pair of these for years now to no avail and I at last discovered my dream loafers in an outlet shopping centre in Upstate New York. I paid half price for a pair of G.H. Bass Weejuns, and it was only when I did a wee spot of research back at home that I realised I'd bought the genuine, original 1938 Penny Loafers. Double success! Quick fact: back in the glory days, you would slip a dime inside the slot of each shoe in case you needed to use the public telephone while you were out and about. Dimes later changed to pennies and voila! the Penny Loafers were born. They say you should still put some pennies in for good luck, so I dug around in my purse until I found some leftover British coppers. They work simultaneously as a nice detail and as a permanent reminder of my roots... am I over-thinking this a little?

I've been thoroughly enjoying the style guide Parisian Chic by Chanel muse Ines de le Fressange - a birthday present from my Aunt and Uncle - and so naturally I paired my loafers with an outfit a la France. I'm also in love with another birthday present of mine: a lovely Rose Fossil Watch from the Parentals. It all seemed to be the perfect recipe for feeling rather chic, but unfortunately a horrible head cold and a downpour of rain meant that this little photo sesh was rather a let down. I'm simply looking groggy on my doorstep. All in all, pitifully underwhelming. Not to worry: I'm sure the wannabe Parisienne in me will be making a comeback on a healthier, sunny day.

Au Revoir!

Kitty x

{Blazer and Top: Banana Republic; Jeans: American Eagle; Bag: Thrift shop find; Watch: Fossil; Shoes: G.H. Bass}





No comments:

Post a Comment